Friday, June 4, 2010

Time to turn a new page...

Alright, so I know it's been about forever and day since I've posted anything on here and I'd like to just say now: "I'M SORRY!!"

To sum things up quickly, Sancho the rambunctious bloodhound has moved to a farm in Erie, and I have replaced him with a sweet mild tempered basset hound named Ellie who was rescued from a puppy mill in December and had been living in foster care. I've been slowly and steadily working on the novel I've had brewing in my mind for years now I'm up to about 80 pages written right now. And (drum roll please...) I've signed up to run a half marathon!

Crazy I know, considering I'm about the most out of shape person ever, but I've got a good feeling about this one. I've convinced Alyssa to sign up with me, so we've got 22 weeks of training before the November 6th race. I wanted to do the Disney World half marathon in January but time and budget constraints have forced us to look for something closer to home, and so we chose the Stomp the Grapes Half Marathon at the Maize Valley Winery outside of Canton OH (http://www.stompthegrapeshalfmarathon.com/)

We're going to start the training with 8 weeks of walk to run training - building up the ability to run for 30 minutes at a time - and then follow that up with 14 weeks of distance training.

Goals I/we hope to accomplish in this crazy endeavour:

1. lose weight
2. improve cardiovascular health (now doesn't that sound like it came from a brochure?)
3. not get injured
4. improve overall fitness level
5. meet the 16 minute mile requirement
6. to just finish the damn thing!

And so all this craziness starts Sunday (only 1 more day of being a sloth) - I'll so my best to keep ya posted!

1 comment: