Saturday, July 2, 2011

Poor Miss Ellie...

I wrote this at the beginning of last week... but every time I tried to edit it, the internet would turn off... I think we're past that now, so just keep in mind this was written last Monday...

It was a rough weekend for this puppy momma... My darling Ellie girl had a horrible allergic reaction to something, but we don't know what to.  I should not be allowed do Google searches late at night... Sometime around midnight I had determined through the aid of WedMD (did you know they had a pet section?!?) that it was definitely some type of parasite and that they were now crawling all over my house and we'd have to fumigate and destroy things and just overall not have a good time...  I was thinking fleas originally but then there are so many other horrible varieties of parasites it was hard to pick just one, and of course they show you the magnified pictures of the little monsters which does not help one rest easy after seeing them late at night...  After waking up my dad with my concerns (he was quite grumpy about it - I don't know why...), I remembered that there is a 24 hour vet nearby!  Ok, I wasn't sooo crazy as to take her to the vet at 1 in the morning, but I did call then to get her the first available appointment.

Fast forward to today (July 2nd)....

Ellie is much better, the steroids are doing her tummy good (haha, made me laugh...) but she doesn't like the fact that I only let her out to do her business and then make her come inside.  Although I'm sure she would love to bask in the sun, I am still concerned about what caused the rash, so her trips outside are limited.  But she should be completely done with her steroids in time for Slobberfest!  That will be the biggest test to if she's all better or not, since that's outside, in a woody area, in the hot sun, with lots of other bassets around (I think last year there were somewhere around 100!).  For those of you that don't know, Slobberfest is the annual fundraiser event that is hosted by Droopy Basset Rescue (where Ellie came from), it's fun and there are basset games and different booths for them to visit and a huge raffle (last year Ellie won 5 prizes - yes, 5!).

No comments:

Post a Comment