Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Thanksgiving 2000

Now that my big race is over (don't worry... I'm still running and training for other races), I figured now would be a good time to write down various stories about things that happened in my past.  This is the first of such posts:

Thanksgiving 2000 (before I was thoroughly jaded by the idea of Thanksgiving)

I was living in the apartment on 1st Avenue, it was a tiny two bedroom pre-war fifth floor walk-up, where I lived with four other girls paying enormous amounts of rent, but overall living the whole "New York experience."  Kate and I were the only two staying in the city for the holiday, as such we were going to make a celebration of it.  Kate's friend Evie flew in from Seattle and my friend Danielle stayed over. 

I remember that kitchen so well.  Almost immediately inside the front door, it was long and narrow spanning the width of the apartment.  One one wall was the stove, a small counter and the sink; on the other was the fridge, microwave (on a small set of shelves) and the table.  A small window at the end of the room looked out over the alley and onto a brick wall, which you could practically touch.  Occasionally pigeons would brave the metal prickers on the sill and try to come visit - they never stayed long (see aforementioned prickers).  I was working at Laura Ashley that year and made the curtains for the window from a light blue fabric printed with cherries that I had purchased there - the seats of the kitchen chairs were also covered in Laura Ashley fabric (my first foray into upholstery).

We had planned to wake up early to go see the parade, I had seen them inflating the balloons the night before on my way home from work (the store was behind the natural history museum when the parade traditionally starts).  But after some early celebrating the night before, we crashed and only woke up in time to watch it on television.  It was my first (and last) time making a turkey and I may or may not have forgotten to remove the baggie of giblets and goodies, but it was so much fun.  We all crammed into that tiny kitchen making our family specialties, the Carlos Rossi sangria was flowing, and John Denver and the Muppets Christmas music was playing.  It was a wonderful magical holiday spent with friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment