Thursday, April 21, 2011

Raspberry Rose Mascarpone Macarons

Otherwise known as RRMMs... haha - nah we'll just call them yummy. 


Do you know Tartelette?  She's awesome.  I use her basic macaron recipe and rely on her for inspiration in my baking endeavors.  And she's super sweet, I emailed her once asking about a madeline recipe and she got right back to me - I like that in a blogger. 

I made the cookie shells last night - I think I may have over mixed the batter though, it was a little thin.  Here they are, piped onto parchment paper, resting before they go into the oven:


There's really not much to the cookie shell itself - just egg whites, ground almonds and sugar...  Well that and a healthy dose of food coloring ;o)

It's the filling that starts to get interesting... I filled mine with raspberry preserves and an icing made up of mascarpone cheese, butter, sugar and a splash of rosewater (oh yeah, and more food coloring).  Here they are ready to be smushed together:



Ideally you'd let them set a for a day or so with the filling so that the flavors can mesh and meld and do whatever the heck flavors do, but I'm impatient and took them in to work today.  They went over pretty well, it's lunchtime and there's only 1 left!

Overall, you can't taste the rosewater, the icing is too sweet for my liking, and the cookie shells were a little flat and fragile, but I'm getting there!  It's a learning experience and one of these days I'm sure they'll come out like the ones I had bought in Paris.

Speaking of, I'll leave you with a shot of the one's available at Laduree (where I first had them ever):

 
Blackcurrant Violet is my personal fave!

No comments:

Post a Comment