Thursday, January 6, 2011

Libraries

A coworker of mine has mentioned that my purchasing of books is not very green, she said "that's why God invented libraries." Well that and to save money.  But my problem is - I love books!  I buy them and read them and write in them and dog-ear the pages and read them again and again.  Sancho loved books too, but as a source of nutrition - so we won't go there.

I should also point out that I am not really one to go out and buy the latest novel, no, my book purchases usually fall into 1 of 3 categories: history/ biography, non-fiction instructional, or classic literature.  This is not saying that I haven't bought some piece of fluffy chic lit (i.e. Bridget Jones), or when Harry Potter was coming out I will admit that I did wait for each new one with baited breath.  However the majority of the chic lit I buy eventually gets passed on to friends or family with the instructions that when they're done to pass it on to someone else.

Of course this does make for an unusual selection of books on my shelves...  My current favorite oddball is an atlas from an encyclopedia from the 1970's - back when Germany was still split into East & West and when the USSR was still intact.

No comments:

Post a Comment